Re: Upgrade Ubuntu Jaunty to Karmic (9.04 to 9.10) breaks self-compiled

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu Jaunty to Karmic (9.04 to 9.10) breaks self-compiled octave
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:20:12 -0600

2009/10/30 Uwe Dippel <address@hidden>:
> Though it would be great to have a transitional package.
> I wonder if there is a good reason to name it octave2.9 / octave3.0 /
> octave3.2 instead of maybe just octave? So that it gets updated
> automatically?

I can't remember the exact reason for it, but roughly, I believe it
has to do with other packages dependent on Octave and of course, on
specific versions of Octave.

Rafael Laboissiere and his heir apparent Thomas Weber had very good
reasons for keeping the version name in the package name, so perhaps
one of them can provide an explanation.