Re: Plot labels cut-off in AquaTerm

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Plot labels cut-off in AquaTerm
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:42:49 -0400

On Oct 15, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Jeff Steward wrote:

I am having a problem with AquaTerm on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. When I create any plot, the xlabel and title are cutoff. You can see the bottom 1/4 of the label but the xlabel is totally out of the border. No amount of resizing seems to work.

I am using Octave 3.2.3 and AquaTerm 1.0.1_5 installed by macports. My gnuplot is version 4.2 patchlevel 5.

By default, Octave uses gnuplot for plotting. Unfortunately, gnuplot's terminals do not place text labels consistently. In my experience, the aqua terminal is the looser than most. The result is that if text is placed appropriately for the x11 terminal, some text will be clipped or not even visible for the aqua terminal.

Octave development is working toward introducing a new backend which will resolve this problem. In the meantime, you might try using the x11 terminal. To do that type ...

        setenv ("GNUTERM", "x11")
        close all

... and try plotting again.

Ben