Re: Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Octave.app 3.2.3 for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:42:45 +0200

Hi,

I think that the installation of Octave.app is very easy and this is a clearly advantageous (thanks Thomas), but on the other hand, one can always build octave from MacPorts (so do I). This is just a bit more complicated and gives a tailored binary for your machine (even 64 bit). Maybe one could replace Octave.app by a new installation instruction for Macports? One could also add the application around the binary in Macports, if necessary.

Apropos 64 bit: I think there is a drawback when using octave compiled for the new Mac architecture, because FLTK cannot be build yet for 64 bit...

Anyway, I guess the building of Octave.app itself is not a big deal, but the testing and i cannot help here, since I prefer the self compiled installation.

Bye
Sebastian

Thomas Treichl wrote:
Hi,

by the end of this year I'll take a break from building future versions of
Octave.app. If there is somebody out there who likes to do this job in the
future then you're very welcome. The build scripts already are part of the
Octave-Forge project so that you can have a look at them but maybe they need
to be adapted to your Mac. I think that for many of you as for me Octave.app
was and still is a useful ready-to-run program, so I must say that I'd also
like to see future versions of it even if I'm not the one who builds them.

For now, I have uploaded the compressed disc images *.dmg including
Octave.app 3.2.3 for PPC and i386 MacOSX to the SourceForge's server.
The system requirements for the PPC architecture are MacOSX 10.4.x or
newer and a PPC G4 processor or better, for the i386 architecture MacOSX
10.4.x or 10.5.x. You can get it from http://octave.sourceforge.net.

We have had more than 6600 downloads for Octave.app 3.2.2 the past 2 months.
Now, if you find this program useful then please support its development. See
http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html for more information about how you can
help.