Trouble building 3.2.2 (pthread)

From: George Bohannon
Subject: Trouble building 3.2.2 (pthread)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:26:56 -0400

Here is a little more information:

There are two versions of gcc installed on this RHEL4 system. Octave 3.2.2 will not build with the gcc version already installed (3.4.6), so I installed gcc 4.3.4.  The rather long output from 'make' prior to the gendoc error indicates that 'make' is using the gcc 4.3.4 library for everything up to the point at which it stops on gendoc.

Nevertheless, here is information about the two installations:

address@hidden ~]# strings /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW

address@hidden ~]# strings /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBCXX_3.4.10
GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW
GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH

So it appears that the gcc in /usr/local/lib (which is gcc 4.3.4) has the required library. However, I have tried setting the following environment and then running configure & make without success:

export F77=gfortran
export LIBS=-lpthread
export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib

This still results in the message
./gendoc: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./gendoc)

I have run out of things to try. Any suggestions?