Re: [OctDev] i686-specific install failure in java-1.2.6

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: [OctDev] i686-specific install failure in java-1.2.6
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:13:54 -0500

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Alex
Lancaster<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Dmitri,
>
> That's good news.  So what do we need to do to fix this in Fedora
> rawhide?  Update to octave 3.2.3_rc1 for one, obviously, and then do
> we need to upgrade Fedora's lapack and Atlas packages, or are there
> additional configuration changes in their (or octave/octave-forge)
> spec files?

The main issue is that gcc 4.4.1 appears to have problems on i386.
That leads to mis-compiled DLAMCH routine from lapack 3.1.1.
I do not know why the problem goes avay with lapack 3.2.1,
perhaps it is re-written and more robust now, or it gets compiled
with different optimization flags.
As things stands now, the octave 3.2.2 (from RPM package) on i386
will not pass "make check" test.

> Alex

Dmitri.