Re: -dpng gives "invalid command"

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Re: -dpng gives "invalid command"
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:04:01 -0700

On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Jul 14, 2009, at 3:11 PM, "John B. Thoo" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

John B. Thoo schrieb:
On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Thomas Treichl wrote:
John B. Thoo schrieb:
Hi, Thomas.
gnuplot> show version long
       G N U P L O T
       Version 4.2 patchlevel 5
       last modified Mar 2009
       System: Darwin 8.11.0
       Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007 - 2009
       Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
       Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
The gnuplot FAQ is available from http:// www.gnuplot.info/faq/ Send bug reports and suggestions to <http:// sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot>
Compile options:
+READLINE -LIBREADLINE +HISTORY +BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY +BINARY_DATA
-LIBGD
-NOCWDRC +X11 +X11_POLYGON +MULTIBYTE +USE_MOUSE +HIDDEN3D_QUADTREE
+DATASTRINGS  +HISTOGRAMS  +OBJECTS  +STRINGVARS  +MACROS  +IMAGE
DRIVER_DIR     = "/usr/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.2"
GNUPLOT_PS_DIR = "/usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.2/PostScript"
HELPFILE       = "/usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot.gih"
gnuplot>
Thanks.
---John.

Then yes, you're right - you're missing support for *png. Your version of Gnuplot has not been compiled against libgd. libgd (and libpng and libjpg...) is the library that you need to create graphics in *png, *jpg and *gif.

As your binary is in /usr/local I would expect you either compile and install Gnuplot for yourself or you use MacPorts? Either or, you need a binary that should give you something like this to save in *png on your Mac (compare compile options GD_* from my machine with yours):

 gnuplot> show version long

       G N U P L O T
       Version 4.2 patchlevel 5
       last modified Mar 2009
       System: Darwin 8.11.1

       Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007 - 2009
       Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

       Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
The gnuplot FAQ is available from http:// www.gnuplot.info/faq/

       Send bug reports and suggestions to
 <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot>

 Compile options:
-READLINE +LIBREADLINE +HISTORY +BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY +BINARY_DATA
 +GD_PNG  +GD_JPEG  +GD_GIF  +ANIMATION
-NOCWDRC +X11 +X11_POLYGON +MULTIBYTE +USE_MOUSE +HIDDEN3D_QUADTREE
 +DATASTRINGS  +HISTOGRAMS  +OBJECTS  +STRINGVARS  +MACROS  +IMAGE

 DRIVER_DIR     =
"/Users/Thomas/bin/Octave.app.3.2.0/Gnuplot.app/Contents/ Resources/libexec/gnuplot/4.2"
 GNUPLOT_PS_DIR = "/tmp/gnuplot-i386/share/gnuplot/4.2/PostScript"
HELPFILE = "/Users/Thomas/bin/Octave.app.3.2.0/ Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot.gih"

Hope this helps somehow,

 Thomas
Hi, Thomas.
Yes, I compiled gnuplot myself. (I guess that was a mistake.) Would the easiest thing for me to do now be to install gnuplot from your octave-3.2.0-ppc.dmg? If I drag-and-drop gnuplot from the .dmg into my Applications folder, would I then have to do anything in particular to use it instead of my previous installation?
Thanks again.
---John.

Hi John,

why a mistake? From my point of view it is good if you try to compile things for yourself. You just need to set up some more libraries before compiling Gnuplot.

Suggestion: If you already use Fink or MacPorts then this might be a better solution to install Gnuplot that way. If you have none of those or prefer Gnuplot.app beside others you can also use Gnuplot.app, yes. There nearly is nothing more to do: Drag'n'Drop Gnuplot.app from the *dmg to your Applications folder and then set another link to use Gnuplot.app from command line, too (maybe you should remove or rename or uninstall /usr/local/ bin/gnuplot* before):

sudo ln -s /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ gnuplot /usr/local/bin/gnuplot

Finally just type 'gnuplot' in Terminal.app and check once again 'show version long'. Start your Octave and check

 octave-3.2.0:1> system ('which gnuplot')

Best regards,

 Thomas

Hi, Thomas.

I installed your Gnuplot.app in my Applications folder and set the following symlink:

sudo ln -sfv /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ gnuplot /usr/bin/gnuplot

In gnuplot, I find that

gnuplot> system ('which gnuplot')
/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot
gnuplot>

so I think it all looks OK. I also tried to print a PNG and that worked: yea! :-)

The only difference I see immediately between using Gnuplot.app and the gnuplot I had complied from source (besides now being able to print a PNG) is that the redrawing in Gnuplot.app seems to be slower, so that the following, which produced a pretty smooth animation in gnuplot, produces a somewhat jerky animation in Gnuplot.app:

   lT = length (T) - 1;
N = 10; % number of time intervals (frames) to plot (must have N <= lT)

   if (N > lT)
     error ('N > lT;  need  N <= lT');
   end

   time = ones (1, N);
   time(2:N+1) = floor ((lT/N)*(1:N)) + 1;

   for j = 1:N+1   % for "ode45"
     plot (x, u(:,time(j)));
     title (strcat ('time =', num2str ((tf-t0)*(time(j) - 1)/lT)));
%      axis ([0 2*pi -1.5 1.5]);
     axis([0 2*pi 2*min(real(u0)) 2*max(real(u0))]);
     pause(wait);
   end

I'm not sure why.

Btw, while I was at it, I also upgraded Octave to 3.2.0.

Thanks for making this all very simple.

---John.

This is due to a *feature* of 3.2. A patch has been committed.

Ben

Ah, a feature.  Thank you. :-)