Re: about Octave's syntax

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: about Octave's syntax
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:02:58 +0200

2009/7/2 Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>:

> [...]

No.

> 2) anything that uses 'octave' syntax is a derived work of 'octave', and
> thus should be released under GPL ?

No.

Please read the GPL text to find out what constitutes a derivative work.

> :-).
>
> That was my point - the OP maybe wanted in no way his work to be considered
> to be derived works of 'ocatave'.

GPL is (relatively) clear about what derivative works are, and using a
GPL software means agreeing with GPL. It's not really relevant what
the OP (or anyone else) wants, beyond the point that he can choose to
not use the software at all (which is only logical when one disagrees
with software license).