using Octave with emacs

From: RossandShira Bettinger
Subject: using Octave with emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:52:44 -0700

I am new to Octave and want to use it from emacs, so I looked up the EOS web page. It says that EOS ought to be included as part of any emacs distribution newer than 19.35:

If you have GNU Emacs with a version number at least as high as 19.35, you are all set up, because EOS is respectively will be part of GNU Emacs as of version 19.35.

My version of emacs is 22.3.1 and I did not find any octave .el files in the emacs LISP directory. I can download the EOS files from the web and install them in a suitable subdirectory, but I did not see any documentation re: how to link octave to emacs, e.g., a path from emacs to the octave executables.

Perhaps you could give me an example of how to do this? I am using Windows XP.

Perhaps you could include such information in the EOS documentation?

I may be missing some obvious step in linking emacs to octave: is there a default installation location for emacs and for octave so that emacs would be expecting octave to be installed in a default folder? I installed emacs in my Program Files directory and octave in my c:/ directory. Ought both packages to be installed in the c:/ directory?

Thank you for helping,
Ross Bettinger