Re: 'pngread' and 'jpgread' usage?

From: Primoz PETERLIN
Subject: Re: 'pngread' and 'jpgread' usage?
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:51:00 +0200

Hello,

2009/6/9 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> tir, 09 06 2009 kl. 09:51 +0200, skrev Benjamin Lindner:
>> True, so you'll still need libpng and libjpeg to compile graphicsmagick
>> with png and jpeg support.
>> So you can't drop these dependencies, just because pngread and jpegread
>> are removed.
>
> But they can be dropped from the 'image' package :-) Since the 'imread'
> and 'imwrite' functions have been moved to Octave, this would simplify
> the 'image' package which is my concern.

You should explain right from the start that you just want the
dependence on libpng and libjpeg be somebody else's concern, and
people would understand. :)

Seriously, since imread and imwrite are part of the octave proper, I
think it is an unnecessary duplication of efforts to keep supporting
them in their present form. However, in order not to break somebody's
existing scripts, I suggest for the interrim period replacing them
with .m scripts calling imread/imwrite, and marking their use as
deprecated in the documentation.

This still breaks things for people using an old version of octave
along with the newest version of image package. I am not familiar
enough with the octave packaging system - does it provide a "require"
statement (one needs at least the version where imread/imwrite are
part of octave)?

Regards,
Primož

--
Primož Peterlin,   Inštitut za biofiziko, Med. fakulteta, Univerza v Ljubljani
Lipičeva 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija.        address@hidden