Re: Windows?

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Windows?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:12:42 +0200

Schirmacher, Rolf wrote:
I must confess that I did not follow all details of the thread. I am bound
to a windows environment and would like to use octave within a restricted
commercial environment.

By now, I only used the MSVC-precompiled builds and I really appreciate
them. The key is that they are really easy to install and use (even without
administrative privelleges) and are well maintained - thanks Micheal!

Now I probably have to switch to mingw in the future. O.k. - but what does
that mean from a user perspective?

One thing I understand immediately is that I would need gcc in mingw to
build oct-files (instead of MSVC). But I would assume that most windows
users rarely build oct-files themselves (at least those users who we are
worrying about here). And please remember all the issues with getting the
right "MSVC release" - that really never was easy. In addition, mingw/gcc
might be distributed in the same package, ensuring that every user is able
to build oct-files without additional package loading (that would even be an
improvement over MSVC).

What else will change?

Will there be a reduced performance of octave?

No I would not expect this. However, I did not do a thorough msvc/mingw performance test. Important to note is that a mingw-binary will be faster than a cygwin-binary since mingw does not use the intermediate cygwin layer.

Will gnuplot still work well with a good performance for the rendering?

same as above. However, gnuplot's rendering speed is far from what I'd call a "good" performance, especially with 3D plots (but then again, its purpose is *not* to be a 3D graphics rendering engine).

Will there be limited interaction with standard software? (I use emacs as a
shell / UI anyway).

Will I have to install separate packages (e.g. the mingw environment) or
will all be bundled in one package (as the MSVC build)?

No separate packages required. both msys and mingw's gcc are bundled.
There are now 3.0.5 binaries availabe, see
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=287261

The bundled package also includes optimized atlas libararies for different platforms. The installer should chose the appropriate one.

Are there additional caveats when switching?

Please have a try and report issues you might find. If possible these can be solved.

benjamin