portable (WRT diectory paths) octave ?

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: portable (WRT diectory paths) octave ?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 00:13:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

as I'm looking into, say, 'octave-config-3.0.5' file, I see paths like

BINDIR="/mnt/sdb8/sergei/AFSWD_debug/install/octave-3.0.5/bin"

which are correct, but are absolute.

Is there a simple way to move the whole 'octave' tree (in my case

/mnt/sdb8/sergei/AFSWD_debug/install/octave-3.0.5

) to another directory and make it work ?

Should I just set OCTAVE_HOME environment variable to point to the new
installation root ?

If yes, will this mechanism work under both UNIXish systems and Windows ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.