Latex Fonts and Octave

From: Thomas Markovich
Subject: Latex Fonts and Octave
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:49:11 -0500

Hi all,

I have googled around for about a day and haven't figured out how to use latex fonts in octave.

What I am doing right now is using psfrag to replace fonts from within the latex document with the graphics all being saved as postscript files. This worked wonderfully; unfortunately the journal that we are submitting to doesn't accept postscript files. Instead, they want everything to be pdfs. To do this what I have to do is convert the postscript to the pdf so that I have it in the right format but I lose the functionality of psfrag. To work around this I have tried to use octave to generate plots for me with the fonts but they aren't very pretty and what's more, the axis labels wander off the graph when I make them big enough to be seen.

So, is there a way to use latex fonts (so they're consistent with my paper) in the generation of pdfs? and is there a way to move my axis label up? (our x axis label is \varphi but half of it gets cut off when the size is set to 18)

I am currently using

x = [-2:0.01:2]*pi;

xtick = [-2,-1.5,-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1,1.5,2] * pi;

xticklabel = { '{/Symbol -2p}', '{/Symbol -3p/2}', '{/Symbol -p}', '{/Symbol -p/2}', '{0}', '{/Symbol p/2}', '{/Symbol p}', '{/Symbol 3p/2}', '{/Symbol 2p}'};

plot (potential1(:,1),potential1(:,2),'k','linewidth',5);
set (gca, 'xtick', xtick, 'xticklabel', xticklabel);
axis([-7,7,-1.1,1.3])
set(0,"Defaulttextfontsize",18)
xlabel('\varphi');
ylabel('V_+(\varphi)');
print('figures/potential1.ps','-deps')

to generate my functions but unfortunately there's no pretty fonts.

Thanks,

Thomas Markovich