Re: paralell cellfun 'parcellfun'

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: paralell cellfun 'parcellfun'
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:26:38 +0100

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Maybe this function(s) should be core function(s) of octave since then you
>>> can use multiple cores in nearly each multithread situation (E.g.
>>> simulations with different parameter sets).
>>
>>I'm not that sure, given its limitations. But if people will want that
>>to happen, I have no problem with it.
>
> Maybe parcellfun could just be implemented inside cellfun, with an
> optional argument or an external global variable telling how many
> processors to use.

The practical problem is that parcellfun is m-file, while cellfun is
compiled. Also, you still want a completely specialized code for
uniprocess calls, so effectively you'd have two functions in one. But
I'm not saying I'm completely against it, just it is premature now.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer