"Looking back" within a singe vector

From: babelproofreader
Subject: "Looking back" within a singe vector
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:19:51 -0700 (PDT)

I have a single vertical vector containing several thousand entries and what
I would like to do is loop through the vector and calculate various "moving"
calculations, e.g. at v(100,1) I would like to calculate a value for v(80,1)
to v(100,1) inclusive, the calculations typically being averages, standard
deviations, maximums and minimums and Fisher transformations. Once done,
move forward and repeat for v(101,1) etc. A further complication arises in
that the length of the look back period varies according to data contained
in a second vector. Can anyone suggest what functions I should be looking at
to complete such a task?