Re: ~/.octaverc and OCTAVE_HISTSIZE

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: ~/.octaverc and OCTAVE_HISTSIZE
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:39:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Francesco Potorti` wrote:

I want to set OCTAVE_HISTSIZE to some value.  I tried this in the
~/.octaverc file but I think it was not doing what I want:

OCTAVE_HISTSIZE=20000

This worked from the bash command line:

export OCTAVE_HISTSIZE=20000

Have you looked in the manual?

Yes. I didn't see any examples of octaverc files or any clear information on just how the octaverc works. I was thinking environment strings might be entered there but that was not correct. Environment strings seem to be for the originating environment and are not internal to Octave. Apparently ~/.octaverc is just a list of octave commands to be executed at startup. Is that correct? (I've used octave for maybe 13 years but I haven't used ~/.octaverc until now.)

For current Octave versions, this is the command you should give either at Octave's command line or in ~/.octaverc:

history_size(20000);

Thanks. I think the effect is the same without the semi-colon, which is what I just tried a minute before your message came in.

Mike