3D animation

From: Bart Vandewoestyne
Subject: 3D animation
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:45:06 +0100

Hello,

I have a function F(x,y,t) of space (x,y) and time (t) and I
would like to create an animation of it that I can run in Octave.

I tried something like the following:

clf;

nb_tics = 100;
[x, y] = meshgrid(linspace(0,300,nb_tics), linspace(0,500,nb_tics));

surf(x, y, F(x,y,0));
hold on
drawnow

t = [0.1:0.1:5];
for i = 1:length(t)
  surf( x, y, F(x,y,t(i)) );
  drawnow
end

But with this code, the updating of the figure window is not done fast enough
and the animation is absolutely not fluent, even on my recent HP laptop.

Could somebody tell me what method to use in order to make the animation
more fluent?  Pointers to relevant information on the Internet are also
welcome, as my Google search didn't come up with any useful pages yet...

Thanks,
Bart

--
        "Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."