Re: Problem with appearance of plots

From: Lennart O
Subject: Re: Problem with appearance of plots
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 02:10:05 -0800 (PST)

Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Lennart O wrote:
>

>> Hi I'm having a problem with plots that are not very pretty. It's
>> almost like
>> an old version of gnuplot is being used. The result looks very
>> crude. I
>> should mention that I am using Octave 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 8.10. I took
>> some
>> screenshots to show what I mean.
>>
>> Plot with Octave:
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p22048113/octave.png
>>
>> Plot with Gnuplot:
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p22048113/gnuplot.png
>>
>> Any idea how to fix this? Is it a problem with the Ubuntu package or
>> do I
>> need to change some settings in Octave?
>>
>> ps. Sorry about the images being so large.
>
> Octave is telling gnuplot to use the x11 terminal, and when you run
> gnuplot directly it is using the wxt terminal.
>
> Try ...
>
>       $ export GNUTERM=wxt
>       $ octave
>
> ... and then do some plots.
>
> Ben

Thank you very much, entering that into the terminal did the trick. Now I
just need to figure out how to change which numbers are printed on the
axises, theres' not enough room for them when doing a sublot. But that can
be done with gnuplot syntax directly in the m-file, right?
Also, how do I make the GNUTERM export more permanent so I don't have to
type it in every time I want to run Octave?