Re: octave memory

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: octave memory
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:44:50 +0100

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM, jean francois sauvage
<address@hidden> wrote:
> hello
>
> I need these informations because I have to perform quite large
> simulations, that may be limited by the total amount of free memory.
> Basically, I want to know how much memory is used for the Cholesky
> decomposition of a NxN matrix, compared to a basic inversion.
>
> I know that the inversion of a N-elements matrix needs N^(3/2) free
> space in memory. but I'm using sparse matrix, so this rule is no more
> pertinent.
>
> Jeff

The inverse of a sparse matrix is generally dense (unless the matrix
is banded). Therefore, you should avoid it at nearly all costs.
Working directly with Cholesky factorization will be better with
probability almost 1.

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek