Hi

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Hi
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:24:34 -0500

On 22-Jan-2009, Brendan Cusick wrote:

| I'm sure I am doing something wrong.  I downloaded octave according to
| instructions.  There is an octave icon on my desktop.  However, when i open,
| all i get is a black prompt window.  Suggestions on how to get the program
| started?

You got it started.

Now, type a command at the prompt, like

  octave:1> help

or

  octave:1> inv ([1,2;3,4])

Would it make you feel better if the window that comes up when you
click on the icon had the familiar [File] [Edit] ... [Help] buttons,
but you still had to type commands at a prompt?  Would you have been
less confused if those buttons had appeared?  This is a serious
question.  Have we now arrived at a point where people can't use
software if it doesn't present thse buttons?

jwe