Re: use of ATLAS library in octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: use of ATLAS library in octave
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 23:29:56 -0500

On Jan 4, 2009, at 10:00 PM, David Woodburn wrote:

Help!!!

I just want a current binary of octave with atlas for my Mac, which
doesn't seem to exist anywhere on the internet.  I'm completely new to
using the Terminal, but I've tried downloading the source (not binary)
from Fink and installing (several times).  But I can't find the
results of the installation.  When I tried again, it says, "Sorry,
octave-atlas is already the newest version."  I have no idea where it
put the compiled Octave or if it really even did compile.  It finished
without any errors, but then where is the program?  I really just want
a fast version of Octave for my MacBook Pro.  I'm under the impression
that with atlas, instead of the standard version, Octave won't run
about 10x slower than Matlab on the same computer.  Thank you for
whatever help you can give.

I'm running:
Mac OS X 10.5.6
Xcode 3.1.2
X11 2.3.2.1
FinkCommander 0.5.4

P.S.  I'm an Electromagnetics graduate student and I feel stupid from
this experience.

Go to /Applications/Utilities and double-click on the Terminal

At the prompt type "octave"

There will be little or no difference between Fink's "octave-atlas" and "octave" package. The plain "octave" variant uses Apple's optimized blas/lapack which produces a similar performance as compared to the atlas variant of blas/lapack.

Ben