Re: Voronoi Diagrams

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Voronoi Diagrams
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 22:53:37 +0100

Ryan Matthew Balfanz wrote:
Hi All,
I've changed the the lines starting from line number 127 to the following:
--
 #idx = find (!infi); # Original
 idx = find ( ! resize (infi, size(c))); # Modified

 ll = length (idx); # Original
 #ll = min (length (idx), length (c)); # Modified
--
and get strange output.

My input file can be found at http://www.phy.ilstu.edu/~rbalfanz/voronoi/inp.dat
The output can be found at
http://www.phy.ilstu.edu/~rbalfanz/voronoi/voronoi.pdf

To get my results do the following in octave:
--
load inp.dat
voronoi(inp(:,2), inp(:,3))

For the curious, columns 2 and 3 of inp.dat are positional data of
galaxies. I'm having no trouble in MatLab working with this data even
though individual points can be extremely close to one another.

That is a surprising result... It appears that Qhull's Voronoi algorithm has some sort of threshold of whether the distance between a point is considered significant or not that is relative to the distance between two points and the maximum distance between any point. Unfortunately the external box I added to get the matlab compatibiliy works well for convhull and needs to be extremely large in that case to approximate a box at infinite. However, it causes issues for voronoi. For now set scale to something smaller then 1e4 (say scale = 1e2) and it should work.. I'll look at a better fix soon.

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)