Re: Numerical Integration

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Numerical Integration
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:07:21 +0100

>IMHO, there are at least 2 advantages to Fortran over C++:
>1. Speed of array access due to aliasing problems of pointers. In C,
>most of these can be solved using restricted pointers in C99, but in
>C++ there are no restricted pointers so far.
>2. Compiling Fortran in very fast compared to compiling C++. On any
>system I tried, libcruft is usually compiled in a flash.

While trying to understand what Jaroslav wrote, and doing a research on
"restricted pointers", I found out that the gcc manual contains this:

|6.2 Restricting Pointer Aliasing
|
|As with the C front end, G++ understands the C99 feature of restricted
|pointers, specified with the __restrict__, or __restrict type qualifier.

I don't know yet what's the meaning of the above, but while I am
studying I though that this may be of interest to you :)

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040