Re: help in modifying __qp__.cc

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: help in modifying __qp__.cc
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:09:47 +0100

tor, 06 11 2008 kl. 10:04 -0500, skrev Przemek Klosowski:
> 1) why is COIN-OR better---I ask in full ignorance as I only learned enough
> LP
>    to help my friend Alan to use glpk() to find the right concentration
>    of salts for his beer brewing project.

I've been told by friends and colleagues that work with LP problems that
COIN handles much larger problems than GLPK. I'm no expert, so I don't
_know_ this, but smart people with experience have told me, so I trust
it to be so.

> 2) their license is CPL, which is an approved by OSI. Why do you believe it's
>    silly---is there something that makes it incompatible/unlinkable with GPL?

Check the Free Software Foundation's webpage:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
(search for Common Public License Version 1.0). It says:

  "This is a free software license. Unfortunately, it has a choice of
law clause which makes it incompatible with the GNU GPL."

Since GPL is _the_ most used license, I think it's fair to call CPL
"silly" since this incompatibility is almost certainly by design.

Søren