Re: Octave presentation

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Octave presentation
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:46:37 +0100

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:09 AM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Julius Smith wrote:
>> At 06:13 PM 11/4/2008, David Bateman wrote:
>>> I'll believe the R/S vs Octave/Matlab thing when Cleve Moler contributes
>>> to Octave..
>>
>> That would be unlikely at this point since Cleve Moler is "chairman
>> and chief scientist" at The Mathworks:
>> <http://www.mathworks.com/company/aboutus/founders/clevemoler.html>
>
> That was kind of my point.. The founder of S is a contributor to R and
> the same can't be said for Matlab/Octave.

Yes, we have a tougher position :) I sometimes wonder whether
Mathworks views Octave as a competition.
I guess not. Yet, at the same time, my intended talk about Octave at
the TCP'08 conference in Prague (organized by local Matlab reseller
and quite Matlab-centric) has been disapproved by the international
comittee, of which C. Moler is a chairman. (The organizer's reply
seemed to carry a tone of surprise, suggesting that not approving a
contribution is not really common). Yes they offered me a poster
session but I don't have time for making posters now. Anyway, next
year I'm going to try again just for the fun of it.

cheers