Re: Missing file/directory for arpack-1.0.6

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Missing file/directory for arpack-1.0.6
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:06:43 +0100

On 16/ott/08, at 17:29, Ilan Boaz wrote:

summarizing: you don't just copy manually the files from a package to the install location, you need to install them using the package manager pkg.m

That was the first thing I tried, but it breaks -- see below. It seems to be looking for eigs.oct, which was why I unpacked the package to look for it.

it tries to produce eigs.oct from the source code which is in the package and fails because it does not know where libarpack.a is as indicated by the error message:

"/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: can't locate file for: -larpack
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"

 so no eigs.oct is created

The thread
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2007-November.txt
also suggests that eigs.oct should be inside this package.

eigs.oct is not in the package tarball it will be in the package installation directory after compilation but you won't get it there
until you manage to build it

Any ideas?

Set the environment variable LDFLAGS to point to
LDFLAGS="-Lthe/directory/where/you/installed/libarpack.a"
before running Octave and try again

c.