Re: Adding Greek Characters To Plots

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Adding Greek Characters To Plots
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:57:54 +0100

Ben Abbott wrote:
On Wednesday, October 15, 2008, at 02:39PM, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
wrote:
The following works for me with the current development sources:

 axis ([-pi, pi, 0, 1]);
 set (gca, 'fontname', 'symbol')
 set (gca, 'xtick', [-pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2, pi])
 set (gca, 'xticklabel', {'-p', '-p/2', '0', 'p/2', 'p'})

and I think this is compatible behavior.  However, it does not seem
like a good general solution to me as I don't see how you would mix
symbol and non-symbol 'p' this way.  Also, shouldn't we be able to use
TeX notation in the tick labels to avoid that problem?  That doesn't
work for me.

jwe

I agree it is compatible behavior. Unfortunately for me, my gnuplot doesn't
handle the symbol font correctly.

I also agree it is not a good solution. Do you suggest we deviate from Matlab's approach?
... perhaps we should add an "interpreter" property to the axes? (that it is
missing in Matlab is a long frustration for me).

I can't test this at the moment, but is it really the compatible behavior? The "Right (TM)" way to do this would be to replace [x|y|z]ticklabel with a text object in the same manner as [x|y|z]label of the axes are. However, that certainly isn't compatible.

I also don't think its a good idea to include a an interpreter property in the axes object itself..

Maybe a reasonable hack would be just to assume that the interpreter property for the ticks are set to "tex" and munge the text for the ticks with

for i = 1 : numel(labels)
 labels{i} = __tex2enhanced__ (labels{i}, "Helvetica", false, false);
endfor

at the appropriate place in "__go_draw_axes__.m (do_tics_1)".

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)