Re: The future of my involvement with the Octave project

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: The future of my involvement with the Octave project
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:28:26 +0200

tir, 07 10 2008 kl. 10:15 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> For more than 16 years now, a large part of my job has been "work on
> Octave".  It's been a great experience and I would love for it to
> continue.  However, my employment has always been dependent on
> external grant funding and that has been harder to come by in the last
> few years.  As things stand now, funding for my position will end on
> November 30.  So unless something unexpected happens in the next month
> or two (perhaps there is a generous patron out there?) I'll be looking
> for a job, and I expect that my time available to work on Octave will
> be severely limited.
>
> What does this mean for the future of Octave?  That depends on what
> the members of the community decide to do.
>
> I think we have an amazing group of people working on Octave.  That
> most of you have done all of these great things working as volunteers
> in your spare time is even more incredible to me.  I'm very grateful
> for the things you are doing as it is unlikely that Octave would be
> where it is today without all the people who have contributed to
> Octave's development over the years.
>
> Octave is free software, so whatever happens it will not go away, and
> at this point the community is more than capable of keeping the
> project moving forward even without my work.  Although I plan to
> remain active in the community, I can't say for sure how much I will
> be able to do if I am forced to find another job.  But since that's a
> definite probability, I thought it would be best to provide some
> advance notice so that we might discuss possible solutions, and
> prepare for the changes that are likely to come.  That's one of the
> reasons that I've been trying to move more things to public servers
> (like savannah) so we can share the work more easily or others can
> take over without much trouble if that turns out to be necessary.
>
> Finally, if you have any ideas for ways to fund Octave development,
> I'd certainly like to discuss them.

John,
  First of all, Thank You for your hard hard work -- it certainly has
made my life easier. I truly wish you the best of luck, and I hope
you'll tell us about your new job when you get one. Although I'm still
hoping somebody will produce a grant that'll make it possible for you to
continue full time on Octave. EVERYBODY, now is the time to speak up if
you can help get such a grant!

Thank You,
Søren