Re: Private company and code salvation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Private company and code salvation
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:31:27 +0200

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
David, forgive me if I'm being too naive, but if any company wants to
use Octave "commercially" and wishes an OO LGPL API to exist, they're
obviously free and welcome to donate money specifically for such a
project. I'm sure the community would answer such a demand.
It seems to me, though, that the community itself, developing GPL
software,  would not benefit from such an interface, which obviously
raises a question why should they (we) bother. Of course, a
goal-specific donation *is* a good reason.
All of my thoughts come from the question of why Octave isn't seeing a significant amount of funding given its large user base. And from that what can and should be done to get funding for Octave and in particular what would need to be done to finance a company formed to supply paid support for Octave.

To me the question is not one of whether a company would finance such an API. Given that the Octave community would accept such an API, which is still not certain, and someone is willing to go and sell the use of Octave to commercial partners, then yes I fully believe that money could be found to write it. Companies don't just throw their money at open source projects. Someone has to go and ask for it, and give good reasons why giving that money to the open source project is good for the company doing it.

The thought behind the need for such an API is that any support company formed to supply support to users paying for it, and incidentally also contributing code to Octave, would need to fight the argument that any code a commercial partner wrote using Octave would have to be GPLed, which would significantly limit where funding might be found. We as a community are facing the issue at the moment of how to finance the development of Octave, and we need to ask ourselves why the money isn't already rolling in, and question our own role in the fact that it isn't..

In commercial software, you pay for using existing functionality,
while in open source software, you typically pay (donate) for
functionality that you wish to be implemented (and then you can use it
freely).

That still doesn't mean that someone doesn't have to go and ask for that "donation" and in the process "sell" the company on the use of Octave.

There are other reasons why perhaps creating a paid support company for Octave isn't necessarily a great idea. The major one being that any such entity is a logical target for a patent lawsuit on the part of Mathworks. Mathworks aren't hesitant in using patent law to suppress competition (cf .http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-txedce/case_no-6:2006cv00334/case_id-97908/) But forming a paid support company has to be considered as one option of getting funding for the development of Octave in the current situation.

Cheers
D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary