Octave video pkg won't find libavformat during compile

From: charlie strauss
Subject: Octave video pkg won't find libavformat during compile
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:41:55 -0600

Hello, I'm trying to install the Octave Video package on a mac with OSX 10.5

I've tried this from two different distributions of octave without success.  (The current Fink package manager version, and the current mac binary octave.app)  The problem that stops the install is that the compiler cannot locate libavformat, and also the error message says something about liveavformat.pc (I don't know what that is).

One package managment system I tried for this was Fink. under fink I can find several different libraries with simmilar names with some different version numbers appended.  I can also install ffmeg.  ffmpeg installs a library named libavformat52.0.dynlib.  This however does not fix the problem.  the fink Octave is not able to find a libavformat.

perhaps you could give me some hints about how or where to install liveavformat in a way that the video package can find it?  Is this just a matter of naming convetions? (I tried creating a link to libavformat52.o.dynlib call simply libavformat.o.dynlib  but this did not work)  Or is 52 the wrong version?    Is it simple as renaming things in the configure or makefile?  And what's liveavformat.pc and how do I use it?

here's the package install error message

pkg -verbose install /Users/cems/Downloads/video-1.
0.1.tar.gz

Package libavformat was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavformat.pc'
No package 'libavformat' found
configure: error: need libavformat from FFMpeg
mkdir (/var/tmp/oct-OHdXEb)
untar (/Users/cems/Downloads/video-1.0.1.tar.gz, /var/tmp/oct-OHdXEb)
error: the configure script returned the following error: checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
retrieving compile and link flags from mkoctfile
checking for F77_FUNC... yes
checking for SLList.h... no
checking for lo_ieee_nan_value... yes
checking for octave_idx_type... yes
checking for quit.h... yes
checking for octave... octave
checking for OCTAVE_VERSION in Octave... 3.0.1
checking for octave_config_info('canonical_host_type') in Octave... i386-apple-darwin9.4.0
checking for octave_config_info('SHLEXT') in Octave... dylib
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
checking for av_write_frame in -lavformat... no
error: called from `pkg:configure_make' in file /sw/share/octave/3.0.1/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1232, column 2
octave:1>