Re: Future of Octave

From: bharat pathak
Subject: Re: Future of Octave
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:38:27 +0530

Hi Isaac,

   You surely do come from industry since u talk about goals.

    Just wanted to share a recent incidence. We were invited
    to a workshop as "guest lecture". The workshop was on
    DSP and Embedded at Hyderabad. Our topic was "FIR
    design and implementation-hardware perspective". Engg
    audience strength was 140. Just for curiosity I asked-
    "how many knew matlab?" and 50% raised their hands.
     And then I asked "how many knew Octave?" and only 2-3
     Raised their hands. b.t.w we started our presentation
     by letting people know what Octave is (6 slides). The FIR
     design and implementation was done using Octave.

     These are just pointers and I leave audience open to derive
     their conclusions.

     My personal pointers are:
     (1) Long term goal might be to "Go for the kill".
     (2) Short term goal might be on efficiency improvements.

Thanks and Best Regards
Bharat Pathak

Arithos Designs
www.Arithos.com