RE: Configuring Octave

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: RE: Configuring Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:48:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 7/22/08, Labitt, Bruce <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Labitt, Bruce <address@hidden>
> Subject: RE: Configuring Octave
> To: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
> > I seem to have a problem configuring.  The first time
> > through everything
> > configured fine.  Make complained it could not find
> lpcre,
> > so I checked
> > my system and installed it.  I did a make clean and
> > reconfigured.  I
> > hope it is something simple like a syntax error.
> (User
> > Error!)  This is
> > the configure statement:
> >
> > ./configure --with-f77=gfortran
> > --with-blas=/usr/lib64/libblas.so
> > --with-lapack=/usr/lib64/liblapack.so --enable-shared
> > --enable-64
> > LIBS="-l/lib64/libpcre.so"
> >
> > For some reason configure output is

> > checking for C compiler default output file name...
> > configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> > See 'config.log' for more details
> >
> > In config.log the following statement was found:
> >
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/lib64/libpcre.so
> >
> > I would appreciate any help the learned list could
> provide.
> >  TIA.
> >
> > -Bruce
> >

> This typically means you do not have the GCC suite
> installed.
>
> --Sergei.
>
> [Labitt, Bruce] Hmm, interesting.  Is there something in
> particular that
> may be missing?  This is my gcc list installed
>
> gcc                   x86_64  4.1.2-42.el5
> gcc-c++               x86_64  "
> gcc-gfortran  x86_64  "
> libgcc                i386            "                       why this is
> here?
> libgcc                x86_64  "
> libstdc++             i386            "                       why this
> is here?
> libstdc++             x86_64  "
>
> pcre                  i386            6.6-2.el5_1.7   can't uninstall
> pcre                  x86_64  6.6-2.el5_1.7
>
> What am I missing?
> -Bruce

I have just read your previous Email.

Make sure your LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables have
paths to 64 bit libraries before the ones to 32 bit libraries.

I guess you have a 64 bit system and want to build a 64 bit executable.

If you wish, I can send you my "latest and greatest" AppsFromScratch
that will hopefully build you 'octave' and all it needs locally, and
install it locally, not in system directories and not requiring root
permission.

This is how I build and use 'octave' and a lot of other things, even though
I have root permission.

Regards,
  Sergei.