Re: Avast finds Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} in octave.exe

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Avast finds Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} in octave.exe
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:29:11 +0200

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM, klystron <address@hidden> wrote:

> Avast finds Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} in octave.exe; it's probably a false
> positive. I use the Octave at work where we have Mcafee AV with no problem.
> At work I uploaded octave.exe to viruscan.org; only two of the 36 AV
> programs found anything, Avast, and one other that found an 'email worm'.
> Any suggestions? My computer appears to be running just fine.

This has been already reported since the beginning of June. I already
did the same test on virusscan.org and found the same result. This
detection alert only affects 2 specific AV software and only started
1 month ago, while they report detection on executables that are
6 months old and that have been downloaded more than 70,000 times.
The 2 computers where I test octave are protected with McAfee and
Norton respectively and they don't report any problem (and run
fine).

When I take everything into account, I honestly think this is a false
positive.

Michael.