Re: Catastrophic Cancellation

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Catastrophic Cancellation
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:11:24 -0700 (PDT)

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Catastrophic Cancellation
> To: "A. Kalten" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 4:37 PM
> 2008/7/2 A. Kalten <address@hidden>:
>
> > Anyway, the problem is interesting and I hope to study
> this
> > further.
>
> I've always liked this rather trivial example:
>
>      octave:1> 0.3 - 0.2 - 0.1
>
> - Jordi G. H.

And what is the problem:

"
GNU Octave, version 3.0.1
Copyright (C) 2008 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i686-pc-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> 0.3 - 0.2 - 0.1
ans = -2.7756e-17
octave:2>
"