Re: What is: cdfn(sqrt(rho)*rndn(1,Ns) + sqrt(1-rho)*rndn(N,Ns))

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: What is: cdfn(sqrt(rho)*rndn(1,Ns) + sqrt(1-rho)*rndn(N,Ns))
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:54:10 -0400

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM, pierrreg
<address@hidden> wrote:
I don't know if this code is an Octave code, but if it is, I would like to
know what this code does:

cdfn(sqrt(rho)*rndn(1,Ns) + sqrt(1-rho)*rndn(N,Ns))

I guess that cdfn is the cumulative distribution function
and rndn is a random generator that generates a random variable between 0
and 1.

assuming that Ns=1000, N=100, rho=0.5
rndn could be randn - normal random number generator. I have no idea
what "cdfn" could correspond to.
I would guess that cdfn is looking for a cumulative distribution function. It appears that the goal is to have an experimental cumulative distribution function (as opposed to a theoretical one). To do that, you're probably wanting the function cumsum. If you're wanting the theoretical cdf (i.e. one where you would provide a mean and standard deviation), you may want something like normcdf (or for a non-normal distribution, there are others).

Have a good day,

Bill