Re: octave's graphics interface / linux operating system

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: octave's graphics interface / linux operating system
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:21:50 +0200

>| The trick of sending the gnuplot commands to a file for further refining
>| satisfies this need.
>
>It seems you are assuming that Octave will continue to emit gnuplot
>commands.  I keep trying to say that this might not happen in the
>future, but apparently the message isn't getting through.

No, that is not the case, at least for me.  This is one of the reasons
why I use the EPS toolkit most of the time.

What I am trying to explain is why people would like to have gnuplot
commands generated by Octave to edit.

The general issue is: I want to use simple plot commands for day-to-day
work and for prototyping, and the Matlab-compatible ones used by Octave
are prefect for this.  They can additionally be used to make
semi-professional quality graphs, and that's good.  But for getting
professional quality they are not enough.  So, once one finds himself
with a working Octave script that plots well, but not well enough, being
able to dump the graphics command and edit by hand is a winning
situation, as of today.

If tomorrow Octave will use a different backend, the situation may be
the same or completely different, I can't say.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040