Re: [CHANGESET] Re: Octave-forge and 'pkg install' question

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: [CHANGESET] Re: Octave-forge and 'pkg install' question
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:49:18 -0600

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:26 AM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:

> E. Joshua Rigler wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Hello
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  --- "E. Joshua Rigler" <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  > ...  Can anyone tell me why my *.oct files get
>  >>  > placed in my personal directory (i.e., ~/octave), even though the *.m
>  >>  > scripts get placed in the system directory (i.e.,
>  >>  > ~/local/share/octave/packages), when I install using 'pkg install
>  >>  > -global plot-1.0.4.tar.gz'?  Maybe I misunderstand the '-global'
>  >>  > option.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  Please read:
>  >>
>  >>  octave>help path
>  >>
>  >>  See also: addpath, rmpath, genpath, pathdef, savepath, pathsep.
>  >>
>  >>  After that, please execute
>  >>
>  >>  octave>path
>  >>
>  >>  Octave loads *.m and *.oct files from the load path and present working
> directry.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  > Maybe I misunderstand the '-global'
>  >>  > option.
>  >>
>  >>          `-local'
>  >>                A local installation is forced, even if the user has
>  >>                system privileges.
>  >>
>  >>          `-global'
>  >>                A global installation is forced, even if the user
>  >>                doesn't normally have system privileges
>  >>
>  >>  Regards
>  >>
>  >>  Tatsuro
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  > I'm sorry if my follow-up question was not clearly stated, but I'm
>  > fairly certain the answer has nothing to do with setting Octave's
>  > search path(s), nor was my statement about not understanding the
>  > '-global' option an indication that I had not read the appropriate
>  > pkg.m help output (rather it indicated that the pkg.m help output does
>  > not provide a very thorough description of what happens when the
>  > '-global' option is invoked).
>  >
>  If you think the documentation can be clarified can you supply a patch?

Not to shirk a simple contribution to the project (something I
definitely owe, after benefiting from everyone else's hard work for so
long), but I believe the help documentation would have only required
clarification if the original behavior had been intended.  With your
fix in place, everything makes much more sense.  Thanks.

<...snipped text, including David's patch...>

-EJR