Re: kolmogorov smirnov test. Normal distribution

From: A. Kalten
Subject: Re: kolmogorov smirnov test. Normal distribution
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:52:25 -0400

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:34:09 -0400
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you look at the source for the k-s function in Octave, you'll see
> that it was written by someone who is now a member of the R-core
> development group.  Please remember that nearly everyone working on
> Octave is a volunteer.  It's not that we are trying to do a bad job
> here.  If you know better, then perhaps you could contribute a fix?

There is nothing incorrect about the octave code, it just differs
from the code that is used by some other packages.

The full implications of this difference, if any, are not clear
to me.  I, too, was noticing some discrepancy with the KS test
and I decided to do a little exploration to find out why.  But
since I have little experience with the mathematics involved
I cannot as yet be more explicit about the issue.  For my own
curiosity I hope to do some more research and maybe will report
back here.

AK