Re: expressing a matlab statement

From: Rolf Fabian
Subject: Re: expressing a matlab statement
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:35:36 -0800 (PST)

Ben Abbott wrote:

> Matlab/Octave are computational applications. Assuming I got the
> algebra correct,
>
> y1 = 1 + sqrt(1 + 4*(1+x));
> y2 = 1 - sqrt(1 + 4*(1+x));
> y = union(y1,y2);
>
> If  you're looking for a program that will provide a symbolic solution
> (i.e. start with y^2-2y=x+1 and provide an equation representing y),
> take a look at Maxima.
>
> http://maxima.sourceforge.net/
>
> Ben

Ben

IMHO and also from a pedagogical point of view the worst thing to do
is to provide beginners with all-embracing answers.

Fortunately your presented result is that far off from the algebraical
correct result that the questioner still has the chance to improve
his/her calculational skills by solving it alone.

rf

-----
Rolf Fabian
<r dot fabian at jacobs-university dot de>