Re: expressing a matlab statement

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: expressing a matlab statement
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:36:18 -0500

On Mar 6, 2008, at 4:47 AM, Dr Preyesh T. Goven Shiba wrote:

Hi

I'm a beginner with the use of matlab and octave... Can someone please help me....How do i express the function y as a amtlab statement for the following expression

y^2 - 2y = x + 1

Thankx
Preyesh

Matlab/Octave are computational applications. Assuming I got the algebra correct,

y1 = 1 + sqrt(1 + 4*(1+x));
y2 = 1 - sqrt(1 + 4*(1+x));
y = union(y1,y2);

If you're looking for a program that will provide a symbolic solution (i.e. start with y^2-2y=x+1 and provide an equation representing y), take a look at Maxima.

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

Ben