Re: Please give me a hint. set palette file "-" binary record=64 using 1

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Please give me a hint. set palette file "-" binary record=64 using 1:2:3:4; ????
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:43:48 +0100

I think the palette is sent in binary format for performance reasons
(number of bytes to send to gnuplot is smaller when using binary
format instead of plain text format). But this might be a problem in
the specific case of pgnuplot, which does not rely on real pipes for
communication with wgnuplot (here I'm talking about the stock gnuplot
for Windows): pgnuplot reads input from stdin (which can be a pipe)
and transfer them to wgnuplot (which is a plain Win32 application
without stdin/stdout) by sending WM_CHAR messages to it. The
wgnuplot then receives the input characters as if they were typed
by the user. This scheme works OK as long as we're talking about
printable characters. I'm not sure this will work as expected with
binary (non-printable) data.

That's one of the reasons I hacked gnuplot and added a real
console mode to it, like in UNIX environment.

Having said that, I'm not sure what gnuplot version you're using. Is it the
stock version, or the modified one with the console-mode-patch?

Michael.