Re: gnuplot no longer works

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: gnuplot no longer works
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:35:29 -0500

On Feb 18, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:

Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

 <snip>

Youre gnuplot, aquaterm, etc are installed via MacPorts, correct?

Not quite.  AquaTerm may have have been installed via MacPorts, tho
I no longer remember the details from a few months ago; but gnuplot
is the one that came with Octave 3.0.0.

This part of your prior post appears to indicate (to me) that macports
(or perhaps its old name darwinports) was present. Where is the "opt"
directory?

 .opt/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.0             <-- call this 'locA'
 .opt/local/var/macports/software/gnuplot/4.0.0.3+darwin_8/locA

The 'opt' directory is in the topmost 'Root' volume.  Yes I did use
MacPorts in the past, and did download an earlier gnuplot from it many
months ago, but gnuplot 4.2.2 I got from the Octave package.

Do you think this might be confusing the setup?

- Dushan

I'm not familiar with macports (I use Fink), but what does the following pair of commands give you

        $ echo $GNUTERM
        $ echo $GNUTERMAPP

You might also check your path to be sure that the corrent gnuplot will be encountered first.

        $ echo $PATH

My path points to the applications installed by Fink first.

/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

I can't say if the problem is due to your duplicate gnuplots, or due to different version of gnuplot, or something else. However, if you have no reason for such an installation, I'd prune down to a single installation.

Ben