New Install - nothing happens for plot command

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: New Install - nothing happens for plot command
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:08:39 -0500

On  7-Feb-2008, eli brossell wrote:

| I installed octave 2.1.73 and gnuplot 4.2.2-1 today as part of a new
i686-pc-cygwin installation.  I've been trying to do some simple plots just to
see how things work.  Nothing is happening when I enter the plot command.  The
lines below are an example of what I'm entering after starting octave in cygwin.

|   octave:1> a = [1 2 3];
|   octave:2> b = [2 3 4];
|   octave:3> plot(a,b)
|   octave:4>
|
|   I was expecting another window to open as a result of line 3.  Is that
wrong?  I've reinstalled gnuplot and octave through the cygwin setup executable
a couple of times with various mirrors and both http and ftp.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Did you start an X server before running Octave?

However, as Michael said, the 2.1.73 binary in Cygwin is obsolete.

jwe