Re: ODF spreadsheets

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: ODF spreadsheets
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:48:10 -0600

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 23/01/2008, Muthiah Annamalai <address@hidden> wrote:
kensmith wrote:
On Thursday 17 January 2008 12:39, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

On 17/01/2008, Mats Hedlund <address@hidden> wrote:

Is there any work being done for import/export to ODF spreadsheets?
[snip]
For anyone interested in doing this work, a good starting point would be
look at
Gnumeric / Gnome-spreadsheet's OO.o export facilities, and rewrite the
same into
an OCT file.

So this would require Octave to recognise a new Spreadsheet data
type... cell arrays or numeric matrices don't seem like they would fit
spreadsheets in them.

On second thought, if you really want to represent all the data of a
spreadsheet in Octave, this seems like a nontrivial task.

- Jordi G. H.

There is a school of thought that says spreadsheets are functional programming languages. Well, we have Octave and can abstract this. But rudimentary data I/O from Octave
to whatever spreadseet must be the first goal that most people care about.
Feature kill is not required, IMHO.
-Muthu