Re: ODF spreadsheets

From: kensmith
Subject: Re: ODF spreadsheets
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:27:50 -0800

On Thursday 17 January 2008 12:39, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 17/01/2008, Mats Hedlund <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is there any work being done for import/export to ODF spreadsheets?
>
> Not that am I aware of, but do you really need it? Can't you use CSV
> format instead?
>
> Spreadsheets havea  lot of extra data that isn't easily representable
> in Octave anyways (formulae, formatting, cells that are more than one
> column or row wide....). If you just want the numbers, you should be
> able to use CSV to both import and export.

The formatting seems to me to be the one reason to do it.  Octave could
write spreadsheets that have the formatting set based on some logic
within the Octave program.

Being into electronics, I have a few times had to manually adjust
columns and change the units based on the data I ended up with.  A
classic example would be deciding to use K ohms or not based on the
highest resistance in the column.

> Or if you *really* want Octave to read ODF spreadsheets, well, it
> wouldn't be difficult except that we might have to add gzip to
> Octave's build dependencies.

Or maybe not.  The ODF outputter could take the address of the zip
program as a parameter and check at run time that it is there.