Re: Octave 3.0 successfully built

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0 successfully built
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:46:00 -0500

On  6-Jan-2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

| --- "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > On  5-Jan-2008, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
| >
| > | Yes it's messy, and I see how your tool for chasing down dependencies
| > | could be useful, but we're aiming at something different here.
| >
| > But even then, Sergei seems to be taking something that is inherently
| > recursive and flattening it out for no good reason.
| >
| > jwe
| >

| Flattening ????????????????????????????????????????????

| Did you have a look at once attached octave_dependencies.prl.gz ?

Yes.  I understand that your information is hierarchical in some
sense, but you are storing it in a non-optimal way.  Do you have
similar files for all the targets you build, or do you actually store
the dependency information in some other form?  If so, then why would
you ever need to generate the complete list of dependency information
for a given target (i.e., by joining all the immediate dependency sets
together in one file)?  It seems to me that the complete list would
never be needed all at once.  Instead, you would only need to store
(and access) the immediate dependencies for each target and let some
program deal with which dependencies are needed at a given point in
the build process. I would expect such a build process to be
recursive, so at any given point, only the immediate dependencies of a
given target would be needed.

jwe