octave forge question

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: octave forge question
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:04:24 -0500

On my Ubuntu mach. I downloaded and configered and installed octave 3.0.0
It runs !!! - I am a beginner in linux
!
I the downloaded son pkgs from octave forge
Most of them installed OK but I got the following error.
This pkg is not important to me at the moment but I want to learn what is the problem.

address@hidden:~$ octave
GNU Octave, version 3.0.0
Copyright (C) 2007 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.

<cut>

octave:8>  pkg install optiminterp-0.2.5.tar.gz
configure: error: mkoctfile does not accept files with the extention .F90. Support for this file extension has been added to version 2.9.9 of octave. error: the configure script returned the following error: checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
retrieving compile and link flags from mkoctfile
checking for F77_FUNC... yes
checking for octave... octave
checking for OCTAVE_VERSION in Octave... 3.0.0
checking for octave_config_info('canonical_host_type') in Octave... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for octave_config_info('SHLEXT') in Octave... so
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... yes
checking whether mkoctfile accepts -g... yes
checking for Fortran flag to compile .F90 files... unknown
error: called from `pkg:configure_make' in file /usr/local/share/octave/3.0.0/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1045, column 2

thanks for any help

Doug