Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave: 0.3.0

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave: 0.3.0
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:03:46 -0400

On 10/9/07, LUK ShunTim <address@hidden> wrote:
Alexander Barth wrote:
> LUK ShunTim wrote:
>> Alexander Barth wrote:

>> Hello Alex,
>>
>> Thanks, they look impressive!
>>
>> What functionality do I lose if I don't have the OSMesa library?
>>

> Thanks for trying yapso!
> OSMesa is used for saving the figure as png files. Without OSMesa, you
> can still create png files, but no window should overlap the current
> yapso figure since the pixels are read directly from the screen. Also,
> you cannot change the figure size for the png export
> (set(gcf,'PaperSize',...)).

I'll be careful if I have to do that. Perhaps you can add this to the
documentation.

I will do that.

> Is OSMesa not available on your platform? Which platform/distribution
> are you using? On Ubuntu 6.06, OSMesa seems to conflict with the

They say ubuntu 6.06 or better, so I installed debian/sid. :-)

> hardware accelerated OpenGL libraries. Is that the reason why you don't
> want to use OSMesa?

Yes, and the fear was justified. :-( Yapso just crashed when compiled
and used with the debian libosmesa6 package. It worked fine without it.
Octave 2.9.14, i686 kernel 2.6.22, mesa 7.0.1-2, and the free radeon
driver with dri on a thinkpad t43, if this information may be useful.

Does octave+yapso crashed or even the X11 server?
If octave+yapso crashed with OSMesa, can you send me a gdb stack strace?
For example:

gdb $(which octave) core
where

Thanks