Re: How to get Octave.app to work?

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: How to get Octave.app to work?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 17:54:41 +0200

Vic Norton schrieb:
This is a mystery to me. I really can't think of a simpler experiment, but I would be open to any suggestions. My primary goal is to be able to call the octave-2.9.13 in Octave.app from within a perl script. I am definitely nowhere near that. I can't even figure out what is going wrong with octave-2.9.9.

What is the output of

  octave-2.9.x> tilde_expand ('~')

Secondly, have a look how we startup Octave from the shell script /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave and then translate that routine into perl (if really necessary). The more easier solution (don't know why it shouldn't be working for you) would be to create a link from a known bin directory to the startup script and then just call "octave" from within perl like you do from a shell, eg.

bash$ ln -s /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave /usr/bin/octave

Don't try to startup the binary /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-2.9.13 directly because it won't work without setting things like the OCTAVE_HOME environment variable...

  Thomas