Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:55:11 -0400

On 30-Jul-2007, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

| Weeeeellll.... that's not *exactly* true. Even some of us hardcore
| Emacs religious nuts think that Octave needs a GUI, or something like
| it. QtOctave looks like a really promising GUI, now that Octave
| Workshop is seemingly abandoned (and it was Windows-only, blah).

I just installed it from the Debian package, and although it puts up a
window showing the Octave prompt and output, it seems to interact with
Octave by gathering input in a text box and then sending it to an
Octave subprocess.  So you are not really typing at the Octave prompt,
and Octave's readline and history mechanism is not working.  Is that
correct?  I think it is a major drawback.  Instead, I think the GUI
needs to have Octave running in a way that will allow the command
editing and history to work normally.  I posted about this before, and
provided some example code showing how this can be done with gtk on
systems that have pthreads:

  http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2007-June/003280.html

Is there nothing similar for Qt?

| Bug reports and feature requests welcome as always. :-)

Patches even more so.

jwe