Re: octaviz without render window

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: octaviz without render window
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:26:12 -0600

You can try something like

> f = vtk_figure(0);
> f.renderer.GetActiveCamera().SetPosition(0.8,0.5,1);

This is an example of accessing and changing vtk object properties. Although not user friendly, complete vtk object documentation can be found here:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.0/html/index.html

Jonathan

Lieven Theys wrote:
Jonathan,

That worked a treat. I can generate graphs through the web interface with a script similar to what you suggested.
Thank you very much.

My next hurdle is to make changes the view of the graph, not through mouse or key input on the (virtual) X window but through predefined octave commands. I hope I will find out how to do that, if not, I may have to use this fine mailing list again.

Regards,

Lieven

Op 27-jul-07, om 16:03 heeft Jonathan Stickel het volgende geschreven:

Lieven

I don't think image output is possible without a render window. There is also an issue with the render window needing to be on top; if it is behind another window, the image output will show the overlapping window. However, there is a workaround by using Xvfb (X virtual frame buffer). You can do something like:

$ Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x16 &
$ export DISPLAY=":1.0"
$ octave
(plotting commands; all X output will be directed to the virtual screen)
$ exit
$ killall Xvfb

HTH,
Jonathan